07/06/2009

Handmade me by my Mum and Dad


Here is a picture of me when I was around 6. Can you see that dress I am wearing with those crazy keys all over it (you could hardly miss it!), well that is one of the handmade creations that my Mum made for me. I wore all handmade clothes apart from pants, vests and socks when I was young cos my Mum sewed dresses and knitted cardigans and crocheted hats for us. My Mum and Dad made everything they could when I was young as we didn't have much money. My Mum used to go to jumble sales, before it was a trendy thing, I can still remember being in a small queue to get in and hiding behind her in case anyone from school saw me.
She used to buy any fabric and woollen items she could get her hands on. The fabric was turned into dresses and skirts and the woollys were pulled back to reknit into cardigans.
Of all the items she made for me that key dress was the bane of my life. My brother and sister used to take the mick out of me something rotten about that dress and this photo that my brother found in his old photo box brought back all of those memories. But you know what, I don't care about it anymore, I am proud of my Mum and Dad and all of the fantastic things they made by crocheting, knitting, sewing and knocking things up out of wood. I was a very lucky little girl.
Sorry about the photo, I was too lazy to get out the scanner so just took a photo of it.

2 comments:

theothermousie said...

None of us appreciate what our parents did for us when we were children, I remember all the jumble sales & hand-me-downs, cos we had no money. But now like you I'm proud of it all cos it's made us who we are today - and that's something to be soooo proud of! xxx

Polka Dot Daze said...

What a nice story. You never fully appreciate what your parents do for you until your a parent yourself, it seems.